Social Icons

facebookemailtwitterrss feed

Thursday, March 27, 2014

So Animal has some free time

So reviews are slow right now, and DIY guides for the blog are slow too.  This makes a good moment to just talk, from blogger to readers.  Sort of a Meta blog post.

Some of you might have seen me post on Facebook, when I see an announcement for a new 3rd party product.  The content while not identical always carry the same message:  "How much is it going to cost me to get some for review?"  Not "Can I have one free for review."  There are a couple reasons for this.

First, I won't pretend that CBAS is big enough or popular enough to be a blip on anyone's radar for marketing.  It's practical to assume that we aren't going to get anything for free.  Barring a review going nuclear, not too many makers give a damn what we have to say.  When we get something for review we ALWAYS send feedback to the manufacturer, barring repurposed gear.

Second, I like to buy the gear I review to put the price in perspective.  It can be a little tricky to put aside that I already own a rig when I order one for review, but it helps me decide whether it's worth the price.  I also intend to make a habit of selling off or giving away older gear.

Third, when something is wrong, or sub par, or just not worth the money or effort to get it, I like to use my indignation in the article.  When it's good, there's a real joy with the item that makes it into the text.

Fourth, when I pay for something, I pay more attention to it.  I once won a homemade in a giveaway, and I didn't really give the review and build the attention that it deserved.

So yeah, that's why I try to make a point of paying for my gear.  Sure, I'll review free stuff, but I won't solicit freebies.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 

Special Thanks

Sample Text

Sample Text