Social Icons

facebookemailtwitterrss feed

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Nerf Rebelle, Animal's two cents (adjusted for inflation)

Alrighty, My first post on the blog, whew take a moment to take it in... okay that's enough of that!  Fair warning the below is written as it comes to mind.  I've never been accused of being a wordsmith.

So, Nerf Rebelle: Did it NEED to happen?  No.  Not really.  Is it Sexist? In the words of Tom Tucker from Family guy (re: mustaches) "Only slightly, only slighty".  My argument however is that this is not inherently a bad thing.

While time has proven that females can and will use the already existing N-strike and other lines, the females that adopt these are (warning conjecture imminent) largely late teen, or adults.  Sociologically we know that puts these females past the, for lack of a more friendly term, point of no return for deciding whether or not action sports are "fun" or "feminine" (yes some women do care about that).

Rebelle, isn't aimed so to speak at these women.  It's aimed at the younger audience, whose parent have all the buying power, and is attempting to ride the wave of strong female characters in media.  It is.... really an attempt to support the target audience of these heroines with toys that allow them to be like Katniss of The Hunger Games.  It's providing the opportunity for parents to reinforce these positive images and encourage active and imaginative play, much like my own parents did when they bought me my first nerf blasters.

And to that end it will help get more females into foam sports down the road.  Not all of them, mind you.  Just like most males laid their blasters aside as they grew older, we can expect that not all females will remain into foam sports or even shooting.

And contrary to most "for girls" spinoffs of boys toys, Hasbro has gone to great lengths to make a point of not treating girls like they are stupid.  From the limited shots we have seen of the blasters themselves, only the color schemes seem to be inherently feminine, and that is largely due to results of focus groups designed to make these appeal to a female demographic.  I've already decided for myself to buy a couple rebelle blasters and repaint them in a tribal flame pattern.

4 comments :

  1. I'm less interested in the sociological ramifications that I am the mechanical design and visual aesthetics. I don't even care about color schemes. I can paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm less interested in the sociological ramifications that I am the mechanical design and visual aesthetics. I don't even care about color schemes. I can paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we have known the designs were pretty awesome from the get go. And we can both paint so it was never an issue of color for us.

    The result though is more female action sports affectionados (Affectionadas?) And i hardly think this is a bad thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. More women around is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

 

Special Thanks

Sample Text

Sample Text